On February 6, 2018, Forbes published a first-ever list of the richest people in cryptocurrency. Here’s an update on what’s happening to them right now.
Forbes also claimed that “fortunes of this magnitude should never be allowed to lurk in the shadows.”
Net worth estimates were provided by Forbes based on estimated holdings of cryptocurrencies, post-tax profits from trading crypto-assets and stakes in crypto-related businesses. They locked in their estimates using prices on January 2018.
1. Chris Larsen (Estimated Crypto Net Worth: $7.5-$8 Billion)
- A Stanford M.B.A. and veteran Silicon Valley operator
- Known as the richest man in crypto
- Co-founder of XRP, the token of Ripple, with Jed McCaleb in 2012
- Co-founder of the online mortgage lender e-Loan in 1997
- Prosper, the peer-to-peer lender, valued more than $1 billion after 8 years
Larsen resigned from the company a year ago or so. Despite this, he still works as the executive chairman. He’s wholly focused on Ripple and supportive all the way.
2. Joseph Lubin (Estimated Crypto Net Worth: $1-$5 Billion)
- A Canadian-born entrepreneur
- One of the most prominent figures in the blockchain space
- Co-founder of Ethereum, a decentralized platform for applications
- Founded ConsenSys in 2015, a Brooklyn-based blockchain software development company
ConsenSys just launched an office in India. Though it may take some time before regulators, political leaders, and officials see the potential of cryptocurrency, Lubin is confident that India will welcome the ecosystem around virtual currency in the near future.
3. Changpeng Zhao (Estimated Crypto Net Worth: $1.1-$2 Billion)
- Chinese-Canadian business executive
- Founder and CEO of the world’s largest crypto-exchange, Binance
- Also known as “CZ”
Zhao mentioned his company’s expansion plans during his speech at the Blockchain Partners Summit in Seoul last weekend. The expansion blooms right when lawmakers are attempting to fast-track crypto regulations and lift the ban on ICOs.
4. Cameron & Tyler Winklevoss (Estimated Crypto Net Worth: $900 Million-$1.1 Billion)
- American rowers and Internet entrepreneurs
- Founders of Winklevoss Capital Management
- Winklevoss Capital became one of the most influential crypto funds
- They also run one of the top digital asset exchanges Gemini
Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss are part of the largest contributors to NY Governor Andrew Cuomo’s election campaign. The Winklevoss twins donated $130k to Cuomo campaign before being awarded a BitLicense to trade Zcash in New York State.
5. Matthew Mellon (Estimated Crypto Net Worth: $900 Million-$1 Billion)
- Heir to one of America’s great banking fortunes
- Former chair of the New York Republican Party’s finance committee
- Died at the age of 54 while attending a rehabilitation center in Mexico
Late crypto billionaire Mellon’s life has a possibility to be turned into a movie, and Johnny Depp is being eyed for the starring role in the upcoming biopic. Depp claimed he feels a responsibility to present something ‘’different’’ each time he stars in a movie.
6. Brian Armstrong (Estimated Crypto Net Worth: $900 Million-$1 Billion)
- CEO and co-founder of Coinbase, the world’s leading digital currency exchange
- Former Software Engineer at Airbnb from 2011-2012
- Former Developer for IBM and Consultant at Deloitte
- Holds three degrees from Rice University: Bachelor’s of Computer Science, Bachelor’s of Economics, and a Master’s of Computer Science.
Armstrong recently tweeted that Facebook had whitelisted his firm’s ads, confirming that they are back on track to offer more people an open financial system.
7. Matthew Roszak (Estimated Crypto Net Worth: $900 Million-$1 Billion)
- Co-founder and chairman of Bloq, a leading blockchain technology company
- Founding partner of Tally Capital, a private investment firm focused on cryptocurrencies and blockchain-enabled technology
- Chairman of the Chamber of Digital Commerce, the world’s largest trade association representing the blockchain industry
Roszak will be a guest speaker in a groundbreaking technology event “WyoHackathon 2018: Breakin’ Through” hosted by the University of Wyoming in September. Registration is open for over 400 attendees, and participants in the hackathon will be limited to only technologists.
8. Anthony Di Iorio (Estimated Crypto Net Worth: $750 Million-$1 Billion)
- A serial entrepreneur
- Thought leader in the field of decentralized technologies
- CEO & Founder of Decentral & Jaxx
- Co-founder of Ethereum
Anthony Di Iorio has declared the launch of Jaxx Liberty [beta version]. Jaxx Liberty is a new digital wallet app that intends to make cryptocurrency available to everyone. It will support over 70 cryptocurrencies.
9. Brock Pierce (Estimated Crypto Net Worth: $700 Million-$1 Billion)
- An American entrepreneur
- Known for his work in the cryptocurrency industry
- A child actor, he was in Disney films The Mighty Ducks, D2: The Mighty Ducks and First Kid
- Chairman of Bitcoin Foundation
Pierce chose storm-ravaged Puerto Rico as his new home. He referred to the place as “a hub of innovation.” Pierce is aiming to take the most innovative industry in the world to a place that ordinarily wouldn’t have been a hub.
10. Michael Novogratz (Estimated Crypto Net Worth: $700 Million-$1 Billion)
- Former Billionaire and well-known hedge fund manager
- Founder and CEO of Galaxy Digital Capital Management
Novogratz’s Galaxy Digital has reached a $US52.5 million fundraising round for crypto-lending startup BlockFi. The funds are for the expansion of its lending platform outside the US and to support more digital assets.